Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Falling in love is hard on the knees.

Or back as it would seem.
Sunday night I went for my first real, long, solo trail run. To say I loved it would be an understatement. Being in love doesn't even come close to what I feel for trail running now.

Pre Sunridge last weekend.

Matt and the kids dropped me off at Sunridge shortly before 8pm. Of course, as soon as I start up the first hill (nice warm up right?) it starts raining. With hard wind. And lighting. And even a little thunder. I was giddy with excitement.
Had some issues with the ol' Garmin getting started. Tech support, I am not. Got it figured. Had my intervals set for 10 hours instead of 10 minutes. No wonder I didn't hear a beep!
Bottom of the first ski hill I saw a guy clearly looking for something. As I was ascending the "mountain" I heard him whistle. Then I saw it. A dog. A big old black one. Who looked so lost and sad and thirsty. I pointed him in the right direction and carried on. He took off in front of me. So I stopped. Called him over, and walked him back to meet his owner who was making his way up the hill. I even TOUCHED him. A dog. Me. Who woulda thunk? That one's for you mama!
Carried on rather uneventful for the duration of the Sunridge portion. I ran without music. I've actually decided I like that better. Crazy as it sounds, I can focus more without music. 10 and 1's were a godsend! Totes be using those bad boys again.
Over the bridge and through Rundle I really tried to focus on my stride and my speed. Ate some jelly beans. Ran in the mud and puddles every chance I could. Over the Ainsworth bridge and back into the trees. Towards the latter half of this I started to lose focus and my legs were getting TENSE. Had my frozen apple juice (thinking this will be my post race treat?) and increased my walk breaks as needed.
In the home stretch, it started to get DARK. I didn't have a headlamp and was thinking I could still take the river valley trails right to the house. Until I hit a heavily treed area. I sprinted through that bad boy let me tell you! It was dark and scary. What have I got myself into?
Once I climbed up into the city again, I had a goal in my head that I wanted to be home by 11. All I wanted. Of course, I couldn't see the time on my watch. I did happen by a large sign that told me it was only 10:27. SHAAWHAA?!?!??!?! I actually giggled.
Losing focus, those last couple blocks are HARD, I changed songs. Hoping against hope that I'd get my Death Race mantra. Mika's "We Are Golden". And I DID! Clearly it was a sign. From whom I don't really care. As soon as it came on, I had the NIKE commercial in my head. And I RAN the last 5 blocks home. The kind of real running that makes people nervous. When I hit the front yard I wanted to scream. I wasn't ready to stop. I was pumped. So proud of myself. And maybe I cried a little. *shrugs*
Best run ever. I LOVE THIS SHIT!

*Well mostly. I haven't really been able to pick up the kids or walk the last two days cause my back eff'd up. But that comes with it right? Matt thinks it's because of my "transverse abdominal". Yay, more core work.

1 comment: